The Cruise Chronicles



Saturday, September 11, 2010

Down & Out in Orlando Florida

My good friend, Gayle H always tells me: Network! Network! Network! She calls it "Working the Pond" and has written very successful books on the subject(http://www.workthepond.com/books/index.html).  One part of the book magnifies what my mom, Phyllis Pearl has been telling me all along: always make a good first impression only Gayle says have your business card ready when you do it!


I can not tell you how badly I looked when I arrived at the hotel where I am staying until the ship rolls into port: Black Lulu Lemons (which I cut off at the knees... free handedly), a huge bulky blue pullover to hide my grotesque weight gain (thanks prednisone), and a skull cap (because my ears were cold). I am unshaven and disheveled to say the least. I can tell you that Gayle would be spitting out her cappuccino at the sight of me.


And now a Networking opportunity:  you see my contract states clearly that I am entitled to a private hotel room. A room with nobody to distract me with noise or inane conversation that could only be made worse by having to nod and smile along. However when I arrived in my private room, Someone was on the closest Queen bed... and he is watching some sort of sporting event. Absolutely not! Not in my room!!


I come to a fork in the road:

A)  I can throw my entitlement out the window and use this as an opportunity to network with this guy named, Branislav.   (Maybe he is a waiter in the crew mess - it's always good to have a waiter on your side in the crew mess otherwise you could be waiting twenty minutes for simple scrambled eggs). Maybe he is into scrabble. I never leave home without my Scrabble Board and surely I can beat a Croatian at English Scrabble*******

OR

B) Go back to the front desk and manipulate (I mean network) the homely looking counter girl  to get me my own space.


Now I know what my level 2, Lindsay K would do. She would go with option A. Good on you Lindsay K!


My sister Laura would option for B.


My Sparkle™ Sarah would definitely go with option C: quit and permanently stay in Vancouver


Becuase Branislav starting to tell me about his wife and kids back in Croatia, I decided to quickly change into some fancy jeans, run some gel through my locks, slap on some bronzer (who doesn't look better with a tan?) and generously spray some Axe cologne I have thanks to my 15 year old cousin Luke and charm the homely front desk girl who we'll call Ruth.


Gayle would be proud! I got my own room and it only cost me one genuine compliment to Ruth. (Her bangs really did frame her face nicely)


Well all in all it has been a great trip. "A bit" of wine on the plane and some great conversation with some stressed out Flight attendant: (it never is a good sign when an FA says "those clouds don't look so good")


Time for me to sign off and say my prayers. Next time we "meet" I will be onboard....


Please leave your comments and if you haven't already please become followers of my blog!



*****FYI - I am an incredible Scrabble player, just ask my most fiercest rival Marilyn N. She is the mother of Deanna N, who was the most popular girl in high school.  Every Saturday night in high school Marilyn and I would be battling it out Scrabble style. It was a good time, until Deanna came home with all the other popular kids:

Deanna: "Hey Mom...oh hi Calvyn"

Popular Kid #1: "What is Calvyn doing here?

Deanna: "playing scrabble with my mom"

Popular Kid #3: "(cough) Loser!"

Me (trying to fit in) "Did you see the football game on T.V.? Go Canucks!"

5 comments:

  1. Oh Calv you make me laugh!! and your not to shabby at your writing....Looking forward to your crazy adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes indeed....enjoy your privacy while you can!

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least you didn't eat someone else's cake at Starbucks...

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, it what you are telling me, is that you are GOING TO BE WAITING FOR YOUR SCRAMBLED EGGS and there could be a hair in them? Actually I am not such a Networking Nazi that you have to SHARE everything. And, I am sure her bangs framed her face nicely...

    Gayle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous Scrabble Player hey? I'll leave it to you to find your own spelling mistake in your blog post. Or am I just F***ing with you? hmmm, I'll never tell Patty. Love you, smooches.

    ReplyDelete