The Cruise Chronicles



Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Learning the Ropes - Alternate title: Ridiculous!


Because a picture is worth a thousand words, let me show you what I am doing in Detroit:


And...


(sigh) and...


Could I just say: Ridiculous.

The morning started early enough with all 8 of us climbing into our small van. Looking like we were all going berry picking, we drove the 12 miles to the rope course where we began training on how to use the course and learning how to train people to use it. The fact that I am afraid of heights is one thing, I can handle that, but then to walk out on a tight rope and look cool doing it is a very tall order... a very tall order. I can't even look good doing a downward dog pose in my LuLu Lemons. Amanda, our instructor put the harnesses on everyone: Ted (from head office) - red harness; Kristy (from head office) - red; Nick - red; Christian - red; Ryan - red; Eli - red; Calvyn (me) - Blue. Now I know that I am heavier at this current date, but I am not obese, none the less it kinda hits home when I am the only...wait...no Josh is getting a blue harness as well and he's a rail... alright, good it must be a tall thing. whew...I guess I can have the lemon slice in my bag even though it's almost two weeks old...oh wait it has milk in it.

Over the course of two days I belayed and negotiated unstable ropes and beams and had a blast. I think this now qualifies me as a jock. Tonight we went out for dinner with Amanda, our instructor, to thank her for certifying us in the Operator Trainer course and now we are equipped to run the one and only rope course ever on a cruise ship! How exciting!... I am so scared.

Tomorrow I fly to Rome and I am so excited to start this new leg.

See you soon.





No comments:

Post a Comment