The Cruise Chronicles



Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Day 3 - Leonnie


Just a regular Tuesday night for Leonnie.
Taking back my power is not as easy as I thought. First of all I have to find it. It’s not just arbitrarily above my head waiting for me to pluck it back and stuff it in my soul. 

The guests this week are absolutely awful. Save for a few past guests that are low maintenance, I cannot wait until this cruise is over.


Someone pulled me aside to ask me: “Is it appropriate for the cleaning staff to be out in public areas this late?”

To which I responded: “Sorry about that. They go back into their cages at midnight”.

When did this society become so insecure with themselves that they have feel superior then their neighbor? Maybe people are loving themselves a little too much.  Maybe they could do with a good dose of self- hatred. Alright I know that I am starting to sound like a beatnik outside a Starbucks smoking a clove cigarette and petting my oversized German Shepard and of course I say people could use a good dose of self-hatred in jest, but c’mon, we are not living in the Titanic ages. There really is no class system for guests aboard a cruise ship and to the point there isn’t any room for it anyways. So if I can make a guest feel slightly foolish for putting himself above his human peer then I think that that is a good thing - and after that ironically, I did feel a bit stronger.

Now let me re-introduce you to fellow entertainment staff, Leonnie

Calvyn-Do you like ships?

Leonnie-Yes

C-What do you miss about land?

L-Family and friends… and a sense of normality… and cooking… and sleeping in… and waking up to sunlight.

C-Do you watch Greys Anatomy?

L-Yes

C-it’s great I love it

L-That’s creepy

C-I see you sleep with a worn out badger

L-It’s a panda.

C-Oh it looks like a badger

L-(laughs) I’ve had it since I was a baby

C- aww that’s sweet. Did you enjoy bringing out a new ship in Europe?

L-Yes I loved it… it was a new and exciting challenge

C-We are working together on the breeze although in different positions… what are you looking forward to the most about that?

L-Besides working with you, I am looking forward to using my experience on the magic and utilizing the knowledge to be more efficient in the challenges that lay ahead.

C- Specifically though, what are you looking forward to the most about working with me…?

L- (laughs) Classis. The everyday giggles that goes a long with working with you…

C-You have a back ground in industrial design… do you have aspirations to industrial design a ship?

L-That would be a fun project, but slightly unrealistic. I would more like to work on interiors and sustainable buildings.

C-I have a background in interior design, maybe we should work on a project together.

L-I don’t like glitter though

C-What about feathers?

L-Absolutely not! Maybe inside a pillow.

C-That’s what I meant. We are going to finish this interview with me saying words and you saying what comes to mind.

L-Is this one of your circle games.

C-No.

L-Good

C-Lets start. Sunflower

L-Seeds

C-Water

L-Swimming

C-Pink

L-Purple

C-Glitter

L-Art.

C-Calvyn

L-(laughs) Champagne.


No comments:

Post a Comment