The Cruise Chronicles



Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Europe and... Detroit?!?!



As I crashed into my double bed interrupting the smooth ray of light that was streaming through my Porthole, I immediately went into dream land. I had woken up at 8am to get my activities in order for the day ahead, including sending reams of paper to the print shop and getting coffee for the cruise Director, the ship that I transferred to has the worst morale in the fleet and I can feel it in my bones. I can honestly say that I could not wait to cross the pond to Europe and get away from the Muppets on this ship.

As I was dreaming about Christmas at home and pondering Costco with my mom, I was woken with a phone call from Philipe, the CD telling me that the office in Miami wanted to talk to me right away. My first immediate thought was that I was being taken off the Europe start up team and being transferred to the oldest ship in the fleet with the worst Cruise Director, RB. Ugh I could not think of anything worse… well I could be staying on the ship I am on now.

As the phone rang, my boss, K, picked up and he immediately reassured me that I was still heading to Europe (I guess he has been witness to a few of my panic attacks) and that they had to get me off the ship that I am currently on in three days rather than in two weeks (uh…okay) and fly to Detroit, Michigan in order to train for… get ready for it… ZIP LINING… uh… hold the Twinkie… and a snack cake.  Oh yeah. The new cruise ship comes equipped with a 40 foot high rope jungle with a zip line and for five days in Detroit, I will be in training to get certified to run this amenity with a few of the start-up team mates.  Alright, so maybe I should not have eaten 20 pounds of emotion over the past year. I have an innate fear of heights. I mean when I went sky diving over Maui one year it was only because I had smoked the Ganja and had an incredibly good looking guy strapped to my back whose hair was brighter than the sun and flowed down to his shoulders like a shower of gold… anyway I digress… three years celibate folks… three years.

I don’t have to tell you that tonight in the gym I forwent the yoga and went right on the elliptical on the highest level and lip-synced to the Burlesque soundtrack for an hour followed by abs. It is a panic workout and not the best way to go about it, because a panic workout is one lacking in intention.  Oh well, as they say in Latin: C’est la vie.

No comments:

Post a Comment