The Cruise Chronicles



Monday, March 28, 2011

Space Gypsies: Rhada & Gopal



     I dedicate today to a very wise couple, Rhada and Gopal, who affectionately call themselves Space Gypsies. They came into my life during what I now call my ground zero phase. Right after I got back from Mexico with the midget, I got a job working for an independent interior designer – a woman whose greatest quality was insincerity- and I couldn’t have been less happy if I tried. While on a consult one day, we went to this amazing house on the distinguished Point Grey Road. The instant I walked into their house a wave of calm washed over me and as I fell in friendship with Rhada and Gopal I started to feel my spirit mend.


As I was in Downward Dog today in the gym, I couldn’t help think of Gopal and Rhada. I miss them. Our last visit was much too short, and I am looking forward to seeing them again. Both Gopal and Rhada are swamis and have both practiced and lived a yoga lifestyle before I was even born.


Every day on the ship is never a repeat of the day before. My job is filled with organized chaos and it’s easy to lose intention. Today while I eat my Fruit Lunch and Chick Pea and my quinoa (keen-wah)   dinner in the Staff Mess on Deck 0, I will be consciously thinking of my friends who in their own way helped restore me with their stories and just simply liking me at a time I couldn’t like myself.  


My mom told me once that regret is a waste of time and that in order to move forward, I must forgive myself. Couple that with the space gypsies showing me that with every decision made no matter the consequences there are always new friendships waiting to be practiced and I can say that my downward dog is getting more peaceful every day.

2 comments:

  1. The author of this chronicle is a gentle, kind, loving person who from the moment he entered our home (on Point Grey Road) touched our hearts. Seldom does a gentlemen, with skill and humor, offer as much as Calyvn did upon entering our lives.

    Be gentle with yourself dear friend, safe travels till we meet again. We arrive back home on April 14th.

    Sending you warm loving energy from South Florida.
    Gary (gopal) and Radha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for kind words, I look forward to be enveloped by your company at Christmas.

    Cal x

    ReplyDelete