The Cruise Chronicles



Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Medical Emergency



Medical Emergencies are nothing new to cruising. People may be surprised to hear this, but there are several medical emergencies a month, some resulting in the ship changing course and heading to the closest port to disembark a guest.  In rare occasions, when time is not on the guests side, a helicopter is called such was the case three weeks ago.

Last night, about an hour after leaving our home port of Long Beach, we had to turn around in order to medically disembark a junior guest. I had the chance to see him and relieved to find him in a wheelchair (always better a wheelchair than a stretcher). As a result of this two and a half hour ordeal, we had to cancel the port of Cabo San Lucas which to the dismay of the crew caused quite a riot at the Pursers desk, even though we gave the credited the port charge as well as added an extra three hours of port time in our next port of call in Puerto Vallarta.

I understand the disappointment of the guests. I do. I get it. But when security has to be called to the desk because guests are screaming and wailing due to the itinerary change caused by a medical debark of a child no less, there is a visible crack in humanity. I mean, as my friend Takeisha would say “where the perspective is?”  When did we as a species become all about ourselves and what we can get out of the situation? When did our tolerance for others get thrown off the Port side of the ship?

The face that we have to spend another day at sea is definitely not the end of the world. What? Guests have to spend another day eating great food (save for the sodium), lounge by the pool, listen to fantastic music and see great entertainment? Oh sorry, my bad, maybe joining the ranks of the unemployment or being one of the families who are not fortunate to even spend one day at an amusement park, let alone a week on a cruise liner would be better?! I know that there are some guests onboard who have saved up over years to come on a cruise, but you know what? I would bet my Kia Rio that those are not the ones wasting their precious vacation time in line at the Purser’s Desk waiting for their turn to scream in the face of a stranger. 

6 comments:

  1. I'd rather be in Cabo than in Puerto Vallarta personally. More low key. And better prices.
    Seems like Mexico needs to wake up and start doing something about all those tourist dollars that are flying away as Carnival and Disney drop Mazatlan and other ports.
    The kid said that she much preferred Costa Rica and Guatemala to the Mexican ports they visited on her 15 day trip.
    But hey, you rock and roll. Could be stuck in Minneapolis with a closed airport, 15 feet of blowing snow and a ticket to Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Amulbunny! nice to hear from you. Mazatlan has to get it's crime in order... The first line of defense for any cruise line is the safety of their guests and if that means skipping a port then so be it... Is your daughter working on a cruise now? How exciting... I love Cabo as well... today was my last Cabo before Europe. Thanks for reading my blog, amulbunny. Please stay in touch. PS: I once traded a Holland America hat for an entire linen suit in Guatemala. It was Ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No she's in college and working. She took the 15 day NCL Panama Canal as a study cruise to get more credits. She loved it. I am sure if she could she'd think about working on a ship but she's working with kids now and is pretty secure with that.

    We have a mutual friend....Kelly F. Small world huh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh Kelly... yes she was on one of my cruises,,, I didn't talk to her much, but I fell in love with her quirkiness and the fact that their son wore the best sweaters.

    Yes security on land is a great thing... for sure! Glad she had fun... when are you taking a cruise?

    ReplyDelete
  5. We'd like to do Alaska in a couple of years. Right now we're debating buying a house so all our energy and extra $$ is going to go for that.

    I'm not a good sailor. I'd rather fly to Catalina than take the express because I take on a horrible shade of green when I step on the boat. My daughter says I'm silly and I'd do well on a large ship. So we shall see what happens. But I think if I could get pampered and eat and drink for a week I'd enjoy that.

    Have fun in DTW!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Calvyn,

    We were on this sailing - and met you in the lobby during a trivia challenge. I will treasure the IOU for champagne and hope to cruise with you someday :)

    In regards to the medical emergency - I think it is sad that some people were so angry. We were of course disappointed for a moment, but quickly reflected on the family involved. I think it is important to note that although some people reacted very poorly - most were sending best hopes and wishes for the child and a speedy recovery.

    Take good care and enjoy your time in Europe...

    ReplyDelete