The Cruise Chronicles



Friday, June 24, 2011

Ana, yogrut, and Stanley

Ana when she found out I had the flu

“Another Saturday ruined” Ana said as she stomped her feet finding out that I would be joining her and her parents in the car on the way back from Ikea. I would have rode with her sister, my friend Sarah however she was on her way to her vacation home up in Whistler.

Obviously as she grew up, Ana became friendlier to me, sometimes she would say hi to me without hitting me. There was that set back when she thought I had hid her stuffed animal, Stanley and she threw a punch so hard in my arm I think I can still see the bruise.

I did find out today that we will both be in France tomorrow which proves my point that the world is not such a big place after all. It may look like a huge place when you are standing on a black diamond run atop a whistler peak, talking your way through launching yourself into the depths of a frozen hell that can only end in you in a body cast and all the big kids laughing at you, but in reality it is not such a huge planet.

As Juzzy and Mia and I were moving onto our third bottle of wine outside on the promenade deck, I stared out at the moon’s reflecting dancing on the Mediterranean Sea and started laughing.

Juzzy and Mia joined in on the laughter for what reason, they did not know and being kind of tipsy I did not feel like explaining the time I was in whistler for Sarah’s wedding, going through the McDonald’s drive through where the voice on the other end of the intercom thought I was a woman and called me Ma’am.

Mia had to run to the spa to meet Timmy the musician leaving Juzzy and I by ourselves to go to the night club and dance the cruise away. Opening our fourth bottle of wine, Juzzy decided to go for a cigarette outside leaving me to talk to the very good looking bar waiter named Luca.

Me: so… you’re working the nightclub?

Waiter: Yes.

Me: …Good… so…I like your vest!

Obviously I do not have the gift of the gab and anytime Juzzy would like to come back would be great.

Sarah and I once ended up in a bar in Whistler where I thought I could order Sangria. I could not and the bar tender let me know that by giving me the weirdest look. We spoke in accents all night long and ordered triples to match the tacky stagette that was unfortunately becoming sloppier as the night progressed.   

Finally Juzzy came back and pulled me back on the dance floor, but not before I tried to wink at Luca, but it turned out I was just crossing my eyes. At the end of the night Juzzy and I went up to the Pizza Parlour on Lido deck for a night cap of sorts. I really wasn`t feeling the Phillipino made Pizza so I opened up some yogurt. Taking my first spoonful I started snickering over something ridiculous. Juzzy followed suit of course and asked what was so funny.

Again I didn’t feel like explaining how Sarah convinced Ana when she was 5 that the correct pronunciation of Yogurt was Yogrut and from childhood Ana has always pronounced it as such. I am not sure if she is still calling it Yogrut or not, but one thing I am still sure of: you don’t want to mess with Stanley.





1 comment: