The Cruise Chronicles



Tuesday, June 14, 2011

My Sheero



When I was younger, I had the worst birthday party ever. I was four or eight or something and my mother had hired a pony to give rides at my party. Well these ponies are NEVER in good condition. This one dropped dead. It wasn’t much after that. One kid would sit on it, while the rest of us would drag it around in a circle. Mommy had to get her money’s worth.

Of course my mom and I look back and laugh about the debacle that was my party. We also look back and laugh about her grounding me for two weeks when I told her I wasn’t a ladies man.

I am so lucky that my mom has a sense of humour because otherwise I don’t think we would get along so well, even though sometimes my stories that involve her cause her deep embarrassment.  Take the time that I took a photo of her and my aunt Sharon with me to college and told everyone that it was my two moms. When she came to visit me one weekend it didn’t take her long to figure out what I had done. I guess it wasn't that hard to do so when everyone in my dorm asked where her wife was or how lucky I was to be raised by two moms. My mom was not impressed with me, meh; I graduated with honours with a degree in microbiology, so she couldn’t stay mad at me for long.

So now that you have a bit of understanding of my conservatively liberal mother, you can imagine my excitement knowing that my mom and Aunt Sharon are coming to cruise. I am tempted to have the ‘my two moms’ prank resurface for old times’ sake, but I figured it would not be as much fun. Not as much fun as letting everyone know the absolute truth about my mom: my mom is like the white Oprah, she’s Woprah! I am sure that most kids feel this way about their mothers, and I won’t bore you with the 1001 reasons why my mom is a classic nominee for saint-hood, but I will say that as she is the one who is responsible for a few key things in my life: my relationship with JC, her annoying, yet appreciated constant reminders to call my dad once a week, and her encouraging me to come back to ships when I was so lost I ran away to Mexico with a midget (long story),

Yes it is safe to say that my mom is my sheero. I love her and I cannot wait until she is on board.



No comments:

Post a Comment