The Cruise Chronicles



Wednesday, June 22, 2011

My Big Sis




My Big Sister, Laura on the right.
My pastors, Debbie and Greg Mitchell once taught me that relationship can be messy and that that’s okay. Sometimes it’s good, sometimes it’s bad, but it’s always growing. It is this one single statement that saved my relationship with Christ because I now know that me being human no relationship will ever be perfect, but it will be forever growing.

My sister Laura and I have had an ever changing relationship. Sometimes we find ourselves at odds, even today in our early 30’s, but at the end of the day, we always will have each other’s backs. I love her a ridiculous amount and being on a ship it is sometimes hard to show that.

I have lots of favourite memories of her and I would like to share two of them with you. The first one is when we were both in elementary school and we got a paper route together. In fact we had three paper routes. Route 141 – marshal road & Broadway St.; route 205 – Cordova St.; and the other route number I am unsure of but it covered a very long street called Pandora St. My dad made this HUGE box with wheels to hitch on to the back of my BMX bike and this god awful orange flag. To say the least we were not looking cool. We were kind of embarrassed so we would park the bike and walk most of the route. At the end of the month we would go and collect the money from the clients. She would carry the black money purse and sometimes she would let me wear the purse.

The second memory I always laugh about is when her and I went to McDonald’s for a milkshake dinner, and as we were driving home, we got laughing about our mutual friend Kelly, Laura was laughing so hard that the milkshake came back up and went all over the car’s stick shift. It is truly the one memory that we have that if one of us brings it up, we both fall over laughing.  


You are my sister, we were born
So innocent, so full of need
There were times we were friends but times I was so cruel
Each night I'd ask for you to watch me as I sleep
I was so afraid of the night
You seemed to move through the places that I feared
You lived inside my world so softly
Protected only by the kindness of your nature
You are my sister
And I love you
May all of your dreams come true
We felt so differently then
So similar over the years
The way we laugh the way we experience pain
So many memories
But there's nothing left to gain from remembering
Faces and worlds that no one else will ever know
You are my sister
And I love you
May all of your dreams come true
I want this for you
They're gonna come true; gonna come true

No comments:

Post a Comment